Skip to main content

6 Gift Ideas for Friends

 

If you’re interested in reading more about friendships, see my posts on How to Build Close Friendships and Encouragement for One-Sided Relationships.  For today, we’re talking about gift ideas for friends!  I don’t know about you, but I think some of the most fun gift ideas are those for friends.  People are so unique, and there is so much we can do to encourage one another!

  Take a moment and reflect on the gifts you have received from friends.  What made them special?  What made them unique?  Which one meant the most to you?

  Obviously, in choosing a gift for your friend, you want something unique and personal.  Today I have a couple general ideas for gifts you can personalize for your friend.

 

“Open when” cards.

  One friend introduced this concept to me by making me my own set, and I was sold!  Such an amazing idea!  Basically, you designate an envelope for specific days or circumstances, and then fill it with little gifts, handwritten notes, gift cards, etc.  Here are some ideas for the “open when” subjects and what you could include:

Open when…

…You’re sick. Tea bags, ginger chews, stomach illness lollipops, tissues.

…You’re lonely.  Handwritten letter, photographs.

…You’re sad.  Silly photographs, memes, anything yellow and cheery.

…We next get together.  Gift card for a restaurant, game.

…On your birthday.  Jewelry, gift card, candy, confetti, etc. (anything she would like!)

…On {holiday}.  Thanksgiving: gratitude journal, list of things you appreciate about them.  July 4th: hair bows, ice cream gift card, nail polish.  Christmas: cookies, jewelry, candy, gift card, etc. Valentines: stickers, chocolate, origami roses, lip balm, nail polish, jewelry.

…When you need chocolate.  Chocolate! :)

…When you want to shop.  Gift card.

…When you’re bored.  Word find/crossword puzzle book, bucket list ideas, book.

  Be creative!  Does your friend have a specific day that is special to them?  You can make cards for special anniversaries, graduation, competitions/contests, road trips, etc.

  If you have ever given or received a set of “open when” cards, I’d love to hear what was in it!  Please share below!

 

Box of sunshine.

  Think yellow!  Your goal is to brighten their day.  Get a yellow box or gift bag and fill it with little yellow things.  You could also do this with other colors.

 

An object that has inside meaning to you two.

  Two years ago I wore matching ugly llama sweaters with a friend, so llamas became our thing.  When I came across a llama notebook at the dollar store one Christmas, I grabbed it for her—not because it was the cheapest thing, but because it had a llama. :)

 

A personalized item from Shutterfly.

  If your friendship is established or you went on a special adventure together, consider creating a personalized item on Shutterfly with photos of you two.

 

Make something using your skills.

  As you all know, I enjoy arranging, recording, and making music videos.  Back in June, a friend was practicing for a vocal ensemble and sent me a clip of her notes.  I arranged “Happy Birthday” for multiple instruments (after identifying the key she had sung in), created a slideshow of photos with her in them, and on the climax I inserted the clip of her high notes.  This took all time and no money, but turned out very fun and personal!

  Think outside the box.  What skills do you have?  How can you use your skills to create something for your friend?

 

Surprise them with a visit + yummy treat.

  There’s nothing better than a surprise visit from a good friend!  Bring along a favorite yummy treat—homemade brownies, a tea from Starbucks, or some other form of deliciousness.

Comments

  1. I love all of these! I’ve tried the sunshine box and it was so much fun to make. It definitely brightened my friend’s day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Laura! I still remember the first person who gave me a box of sunshine. It was so encouraging!

      Delete

Post a Comment