Skip to main content

Reflections on Servant Leadership

 

“If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet.  For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.” – John 13:14-15.

  Back in Bible times, it was customary and polite for the host of the house to offer foot-washing to guests.  Either a servant would be called to do the washing, or the head of the house himself would do it.

  In my opinion, this is the best example of servant leadership you can ever learn from.  The amazing thing is, it was Jesus who gave illustrated this by example to His disciples.  While everyone in the world should consider washing Christ’s feet to be the deepest honor imaginable, He was on His knees washing theirs.  Jesus willingly washed 12 pairs of tired, dirty, stinky feet.

  Although we don’t usually literally wash each other’s feet nowadays, the idea is to serve someone in a very humble way.  Jesus was deliberately setting an example.  How are you going to receive this challenge?  Who can you serve?

  And just because I love hymns, I have to share this for the sake of my music friends… did you know that there is a hymn entitled “The World is Full of Smelly Feet”?  Seriously!  Although I’m pretty sure Jesus didn’t rhyme and tell his disciples in this way, these lyrics from the first verse are quite interesting (not to mention rather humorous)…

“Jesus said to His disciples,

‘Wash those weary toes!

Do it in a cheerful fashion,

Never hold your nose!’”

*Words by Michael Forster

 

  That's all for now!  Keeping things short and sweet today.  Please talk to me below!

  What are your thoughts on this passage?  What do you think characterizes a good leader?  Whose feet can you wash today?

Comments