Skip to main content

Random Bits of Practical Life Advice


Today’s post is a twist off of one of my most popular writings from the old home of Grace Notes, which you can read here.  That post was a simple bullet list of Christian life advice that I have received and found true in my own life.  Although I uphold most (if not) everything I wrote then, I’d like to revise and add to that list today!

  Just a heads up–we’re going to fly through this!  There are many points on this list I could write entire posts about, but you get the gist.

 

  Learn an instrument—it’s worth it, I promise!  Being able to play an instrument is a skill you will carry with you your entire life, and is useful in many different scenarios, including ministry.

  Work on your grammar.  Communication is a necessary tool for life, and your written composition skills will be critiqued, so pay attention and learn to write with excellence.  I am much more apt to take some one seriously when they make an effort to mind their grammar and write thoughtfully.

  Rebellion isn’t cool, so stop announcing your bold moments with glee.  Why on earth do people take pride in breaking rules?  It’s not a good way to earn respect.  I don’t want to hear about the stupid things you did without getting caught.

  Don’t live off of pizza and chicken nuggets, no matter how busy or spontaneous you are.  It won’t serve you well in the long run.

  If you think “water,” drink water.

  Don’t be afraid of minimalism.  I’m a minimalist wanna-be and the areas I’ve simplified in my life have already produced fantastic, refreshing results.  Don’t be afraid of purging your closet, your shoes, your books, your makeup, your magazines, or anything else.

  Have a go-to outfit.  Keep this outfit modest, simple, easy-to-clean, and practical.  When you’re in a rush, accidentally sleep in, or don’t know what to wear, this outfit is your go-to!

  Invest in your siblings.  You will only have a precious few relationships that last a lifetime, and your sibling relationships should be among them.  I want my siblings to know I’m there for them, and I’m always up for a chat or a laugh, no matter what stage of life we’re in!

  Respect your brothers.  Really listen to them.  Respect is important to guys.  Don’t be the sister that tares down.

  Remember that ministry is a privilege.  Train your mind to be ministry-minded and always eager to serve.  There is, of course, a time and place to say “no,” but make sure you have a legitimate reason before you give such an answer.

  Be the godly “older girl” you needed when you were younger.  I remember when I was younger and craved the attention of the older girls, and how few actually gave me the time of day.  Choose to be that “older girl” for the little ladies you know.

  Don’t worry about having many friends.  It’s much better to have a few close friends than many distant friends.  Always be friendly and kind, of course, but remember that you can’t build best-friend relationships with every girl on the planet.

  Use Pinterest carefully.  Please don’t pin sarcastic, negative quotes and pins about your life, how miserable you are, etc. on your Pinterest boards.  It isn’t helping you become more grateful and it certainly isn’t building up your friends when they scroll through their feed and see those pins.

  Keep up with God’s work around the world through missions.  Grab missionary prayer cards and put them on your bedroom door.  Sign up for mission updates.  Write missionaries.  Connect with them in a deeper way by learning more about their country and culture.  Go on mission trips.  Develop a heart for missions!

  Ask questions.  I think this is one of the best pieces of practical life advice my mom has ever given me!  I see this lacking everywhere as I come into contact with different people.  Honestly girls, it’s hard to keep up a good conversation when one side never asks any questions!  Please, please, please make sure that you always ask questions in your correspondence with others!

  Support those you care about.  You may say that you genuinely care about certain people… but do your actions follow suit?  It can be discouraging when you are involved in different activities and no one makes an effort to support you.  Find out when your friends’ sports games, competitions, concerts, and other special events are and make a sincere effort to show up.

  Challenge yourself.  It’s okay to do something that scares you (in a healthy sense, of course).

  Be interested in the interests of others.  Ask questions and show sincere excitement for the victories people experience in their chosen areas of interest, even if you have no connection whatsoever to the topic.

  Minimize the exaggeration.  Unclear exaggeration is a downright form of lying, and blowing things out of proportion doesn’t put the person on the listening end at ease.  (Speaking to myself on this one, particularly!)

  Don’t be afraid of mountains.  God can move those.

  Don’t glob on makeup.  Play it safe and stay classy.

  Don’t ignore people you know when you see them.  When I’m in my introverted moods, I have this nasty little habit of pretending I didn’t see people.  This is not a good habit, and one I am trying to break.  Don’t be shy!  Wave and smile at people you see, and if you pass within close proximity, say hi!

  If you’re unsure whether or not something is modest “enough,” it probably isn’t.  When in doubt, change your clothes!

  Memes get old.  Everyone appreciates a good meme, but it can get out of hand pretty quickly.  I love a good meme, but there’s a time and a place for those, and certain environments aren’t appropriate for researching the best memes of 2020.

  Put your phone away.

  Shake hands.  Sometimes I’m in an awkward situation where I see someone I’m not sure whether or not to shake hands with, hug, or not touch at all.  Play it safe and go for a courteous handshake.  (But there’s COVID, so disregard this point for the time being.)

  It’s probably not as big a deal as you think it is.  There, I said it.

  Take joy in education.  Enjoying learning is a mindset.  I get it—taking 18 credits is a beast and studying isn’t very “cool;” nevertheless, it’s a wonderful opportunity that God has provided.  Be always growing in knowledge and wisdom!

  Get a mentor.  This is so important!  Even if you don’t have an “official” mentor, you should still surround yourself with older and wiser believers.

  Don’t go boy crazy.  Please, just don’t.  You’ll be a more joyful, contented, stable person if you choose to prioritize your relationship with Christ instead of your relationships with guys.

  Wash the clothes in the bottom of your hamper.  You might discover something you forgot you had in there...

  Delete distracting apps.  I’ve had phases where I’ve been into Boggle, Trivia Crack, and Scrabble, but they never did much more than waste my time as they fizzled in and out of my life.


Comments

  1. I can heartily second sooo many of these! One I wanted to especially mention—the boy crazy point. SO true. Now that I’m married, all the “crushes” I had as a teenager/early 20’s seem so shallow and silly. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for seconding that, Mykaela! That's especially encouraging to hear from a married woman reflecting back. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment