Skip to main content

10 Ways to Stay Inspired as a Blogger


I’ll admit that I’ve been a bit stuck lately in what to write here on the blog.  While I was contemplating where to begin as I stared at my computer screen, the idea popped into my brain that I should give some advice to other bloggers on how to stay inspired.  This is irony at its finest, folks.  Enjoy. :)

  But in all seriousness, this is a post I’ve been wanting to write for years.  Obviously, I have not mastered the art of staying inspired and always having an abundance of post ideas; however, I have come far from where I started.  I’d like to pass on to you what I’ve learned over the half-decade I’ve been blogging.

  As with anything, there are good days and bad days when it comes to blogging, and each individual has strengths and weaknesses to work through.  Though enjoyable, blogging takes a lot of brainstorming, hard work, time, and dedication.  Some days the words spill out naturally; other days, all you can think about is what you’re going to eat for lunch.  It is important, as a writer, to accept that you’re going to need God’s grace.  You’re going to make mistakes and it’s going to be messy.

  Sometimes seasoned bloggers with their sharp blog design, crisp images, and consistent posting schedule can appear to have it all down-pat.  This simply isn’t the case.  Behind each blog is a real human being with struggles of their own.  I promise you, they have their rough days just like you have yours.

1. Keep a running list of post ideas.

  My number one life-saver when it comes to creating new content is to keep a running list of post ideas.  Add to this list the moment something new pops into your head.  If your actual list is not handy, pull out your phone and jot the idea down in your notes app.  I don’t know how many times an intriguing idea has hit me but I didn’t write it down and therefore forgot.

2. Run with the motivation.

  One thing I realized early on in my blogging journey is that those “save-for-later” posts might not actually seem so inspiring when “later” rolls around.  It’s important to take advantage of that inspiration and run with it while you’ve got the motivation.  Start working on that post as soon as you can.

3. Try new things.

  Blogging is closely linked to teaching: we are trying to put unique information out for others to benefit from.  One way to add to our bank of information is to try new things.  Gaining new experiences and skills will generate new, intriguing thoughts and ideas for blog content.

4. Shake things up.

  You don’t always have to stay strictly in your niche.  Write about something you don’t normally discuss on your blog.  People appreciate knowing that the content creator behind an online platform is a real human being with diverse feelings and interests.  It gives them a new angle from which to view your personality and passions.

  You can also bring a little excitement and inspiration to your corner of the web by hosting an interview or guest post.  This is a great way to have fun while increasing publicity.

5. Take a break.

  It’s OK to take a break every once in a while—just give your readers a heads-up and don’t stay away long!

6. Use Pinterest.

  Pinterest is the bomb when it comes to inspiration.

7. Journal.

  I currently keep 3 journals: my personal one, my prayer one, and my “spiritual reflection” one.  In the latter, I pour my heart out about whatever God is teaching me.  Many of these journal entries later morph into blog posts.

8. Look through photos.

  I love going through old photos and reminiscing.  Sometimes I’ll stumble across a photo that prompts a memory I had almost forgotten, and it inspires me to write.

9. Change your blog design.

  Aesthetics are inspiring!  Maybe all your blog needs is a sharp new design to bring some fresh inspiration and excitement to your blogging.

10. Get feedback.

  Talk to your readers and get their thoughts on how your blog journey is going.  They may have some valuable insight and suggestions.

 

  Where are my fellow bloggers?  Comment below and let me know how YOU stay inspired in your blogging!

Comments

  1. I love these ideas! I’ve been struggling with blog inspiration too. This post motivated me though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post, Grace!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome, thanks for sharing! Great ideas, this will be really helpful for me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment