Skip to main content

Humble Pie


I’ve never been a fan of pie.  On occasion I’ll enjoy a bit of brownie pie, or possibly another kind (provided someone has taken the time to make it and therefore I should politely partake), but overall I just don’t like pie.  Sorry.


  But as much as I dislike the baked good that you consume, there’s another type of pie that’s even harder to eat: humble pie.

  Eating humble pie is never fun, yet we continuously must subject ourselves to being spoon-fed our lessons.

  When we live every day with more than enough time on our hands, not being able to make plans or leave home, with the people we love the most yet generally treat the worse, the teabag of our hearts seeps into the mug and leaves a very strong flavor.

  I’m convinced that if it wasn’t for Christ’s work and the Holy Spirit’s influence upon my life, I would have given up long ago.  Living with others may be difficult, but living with myself is misery.
I’ve found that 4 days of isolation does it for me, then the monster beneath the surface rears its ugly head.  Maybe that happens every day to an extent, but after 4 days I’m quite close to—as a friend put it—“hulking out.”  Though I try, my flesh is the monster I simply cannot escape.  Without fail, I’m left feeling rotten.

  Despite my feeble attempts to change, to avoid pain, and to hide from critical eyes, humility chases me.  If there’s any godly characteristic my flesh absolutely hates, its humility.  I often wish I could spend my life in a closed room so I wouldn’t have to show my face and get slapped with reminders of my pride and inadequacy.  If I went into hiding, I would never struggle with pride, right?  News flash: the entire world is in hiding, and the struggle is still real.

  Being a graduate this year was tough.  I’ve been waiting for this milestone for years.  I remember distinctly thinking in 5th grade, I’m not even halfway done.  I’ll NEVER finish!  And then when I finally reached the finish line, I was faced with quarantine, social distancing, silence, isolation, and an abundance of time.  I woke up my first morning graduated and didn’t know what to do with myself.  The freedom I expected to taste was not as sweet as it always sounded.  It didn’t take me long to focus in on the negative and start a pity-party.

  Despite having introverted tendencies (believe it or not), I love people and I find a great joy in ministry opportunities.  I always thought that after graduation I would be able to turn all of my energies to ministry, but then half of those ministries crumbled because social restrictions inhibits our ability to gather.  Because of this, I have struggled majorly with finding purpose in life.  If I wasn’t already sunk in a hole of worthlessness, this did it.

  Pondering my seemingly-empty life quickly spiraled into bitterness, hurt, frustration, and other feisty emotions.  I started scrutinizing my relationships so closely, it was as if every flaw stuck out.  I began to think I was the only person trying to be kind.

  After a hard week of criticizing every little word or action, truth broke through the surface: it’s not about me.  Such a simple phrase, but a powerful one to live by.  What I thought I was doing was realistically evaluating my relationships and seeing what I was doing wrong so I could fix it.  What I was really doing was pitying myself and getting grumpy because I wasn’t getting the attention or appreciation I wanted.  Ouch.

  Realizing my error was difficult, as it always is.  Wouldn’t it just be better if I could just magically turn humble?  Why must I go through this tedious, painful process?

  As tough as it is to admit, the truth is, God doesn’t intend for us to gain humility overnight.  He gave us the Holy Spirit, who patiently walks us down a path of sanctification.  The path is narrow, and we slip often.  It’s not an easy journey; it’s not supposed to be.  Becoming more like Christ is a process that uses pain and humiliation as sculpting tools. 

  Nothing good can come about instantaneously; there are many pieces to a puzzle.  Sanctification is the same way.  Sanctification is a process that spans over a lifetime and will only complete when we cross the threshold of heaven.

  This past week I slipped a lot on my pathway to sanctification.  Faithfully, the Good Shepherd brought me back, and the Holy Spirit taught me lessons I sorely needed to learn.

  If humility leads to sanctification, then I’ll gladly eat that humble pie!

Comments