Skip to main content

Christ is Enough When We Don't Understand


The other evening in my devotions, I was reading Matthew’s account of the triumphal entry in Matthew 21:6-11.  This is a very understandable Scripture to read at this time, considering Palm Sunday was 3 days ago and marked the beginning of Passion Week (also known as Holy Week), which will culminate in the sober remembrance of His death on Good Friday and the joyful celebration of His Resurrection on Easter Sunday.  Copied below are the Scriptures for reference.


And the disciples went, and did as Jesus commanded them,
And brought the ass, and the colt, and put on them their clothes, and they set him thereon.
And a very great multitude spread their garments in the way; others cut down branches from the trees, and strawed them in the way.
And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying Hosanna to the Son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest.
And when he was come into Jerusalem, all the city was moved, saying, Who is this?
And the multitude said, This is Jesus the prophet of Nazareth of Galilee.
(Matthew 21:6-11, KJV)

  Aside from noticing that all 6 verses begin with the word “and,” I was partially struck by the way the people of Jerusalem rejoiced.  They used the word hosanna, which means “save now.” 
As most of us are aware, the plan the inhabitants of Jerusalem had in mind was not Christ’s.  They rightly praised the Son of David as King, but their expectations were distorted.  They cried for salvation, but the salvation they sought was of an earthly kind.  They did not understand the greater purpose.

  I have to laugh when I realize how much I can identify with those confused, distracted, narrow-minded people that couldn’t see the greater plan.  Yes, I believe in the true salvation that Christ provide; His salvation is the only thing securing my eternal citizenship in heaven.  No, I don’t doubt God’s plan of salvation.  Rather, my identification with these people is my misunderstanding on a different subject.

  Coronavirus.  COVID-19.  Class of 2020 – wait no, we’re now known as “Class of COVID-19: the ones that were quarantined.”  Talk of the virus is permeating our globe.  I don’t have to explain anything to you; we’re all in the same boat.

  Perhaps more than with COVID-19, our world is infected with the fear, doubt, and uncertainty.  It would be a lie to say I am totally immune by these invisible diseases.  Although I possess an unshakable Hope that provides abundant peace, I am not unaffected by the circumstances surrounding me.  None of us are.  This is where I can relate to those of Jerusalem.

  Do I trust God that God has a plan?  I am quick to shout “yes!” without hesitation.  I don’t doubt that Christ loves me, and that He is in control and has a plan in all this.  Rather, I am tripped up by the lack of understanding I have of His plan.  I know the plan is there, I just don’t understand the specifics.

  I don’t understand why I have to watch my oldest brother – a Class of COVID-19 college graduate – finish his courses online.
  I don’t understand why God isn’t allowing Christians to meet for corporate worship.
  I don’t understand why we can’t host people over to our house.
  I don’t understand why hundreds of couples had to postpone or cancel their spring weddings.
  I don’t understand why our first family vacation in about 7 years will probably have to be canceled.
  I don’t understand why I have to finish 9 years of private piano lessons over FaceTime.
  I don’t even understand why I was able to have my senior recital, but the next weekend someone couldn’t have theirs.

  When I choose to fixate on what I can’t understand, my heart threatens to spiral into depression, ungratefulness, and bitterness.  No, I don’t understand why these specific things had to happen.  I’m clueless.  How is it better than what would “normally” be happening?  I have no idea.  But I can tell you what I do know!

  I know that God has a plan.
  I know that God’s grace is sufficient.
  I know that persecuted Christians for all of time have had to endure house-arrest, isolation, and other difficult restrictions.
  I know that the gospel can spread no matter the circumstance.
  I know that God is faithful.
  I know that God is good and can only do good.
  I know that God will never leave or forsake me.
  I know that God sent His only Son, Christ Jesus, to die a gruesome death and conquer the grave in order that I may have eternal life.  Even this, my friends, is enough.

  Nearly a year ago, my brother and I braved the scariness of our voices being heard distinguishably, and sang “Settled at the Cross” for our church family.  The words go like this:

So if you never speak another word of blessing,
And the silence leaves me with a sense of loss,
I’ll remember when my heart begins to question:
Any doubt that You loved me was settled at the cross.

  Perhaps the Lord ordained this pandemic so that people would come to the end of themselves and find that Christ’s cross is the only source of hope available for embrace.  Our doubts and fears can be cast aside; Christ is all we need.


Comments

  1. I recently found your blog and have been encouraged by your posts! This is so true!! I love the lyrics to "Settled at the Cross."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading along, Lindsey! I'm glad you were encouraged!

      Delete

Post a Comment