Skip to main content

10 Things for 2020 Grads to do in Quarantine


If you’re a high school senior this year, congratulations!  This road has been a rather interesting one, as you would agree I’m sure, but at long last, the finish line is on the horizon!  It’s surreal to think I will be a graduated human being in less than a month.  God is good!


  Today, I’d like to share 10 things for high school seniors to do in quarantine, before they move on to the next season of life.

1.  Keep a good attitude.
  This sounds rather abstract, but don’t worry, I’ll get to the practical in a minute.  Your attitude can make or break any experience or opportunity in life, including your education.  You can either complain about all the school-related activities you’re missing out on, or choose gratitude for the unique situation God has put you in.  Don’t end your high school career with a bad attitude.  Your grumpiness is not something you want to look back and remember.

2.  Make new memories.
  A lot of high school seniors are upset because they simply just wanted to enjoy those special memories.  Guess what?  Memories haven’t ceased to develop!  There’s no reason you can’t keep building memories, even if they look vastly different from those you expected.

3.  Do something special with each of your siblings.
  This could be taking them to pick up dinner or ice cream, hiking, bike riding, a drive through the country, camping out in your backyard, getting up early to watch the sunrise, taking 100 selfies, working out together, praying before bed, or a host of other things.

4.  Create a T-shirt quilt.
  I don’t know about you, but by this point in my life I have accumulated a LOT of logo T-shirts from camps, vacations, and other events.  Since I’m pretty sure I won’t be wearing my camp shirt from 2009 again, I chopped it (and a bunch of others) up to make into a quilt.  There are some relatively simple T-shirt quilt and pillow tutorials on Pinterest.

5.  Create a senior year scrapbook, video, or digital photo album.
  Put all those special photos in one place.  This past year was filled with more laughter than I ever dreamt possible, and I have photos where I was grinning so much my face hurt.  Even now in quarantine, it’s uplifting to look through old message streams and phone photo albums.

7.  Journal.
  Write down the memories you cherished from this past year – and even some you didn’t.  Sometimes I’ll look back at an old journal entry and go, “Oh, I completely forgot about that!  That was SO much fun…” or, “Wow.  I remember how God worked in that situation.  It’s crazy to think how far He’s brought me!”

8.  Use FaceTime to your advantage.
  Welcome to the world of social distancing, where Zoom, FaceTime, and Skype is where the party happens.

9.  Make someone’s day.
  You’re going to have to be creative with this one, but it’s worth it.  Before my state tightened social distancing orders, my brothers and I did a drive-by for some church members and waved from the car.  One sweet lady came to the window to wave, another friend stood on her driveway in pajamas, and a third bolted out the door without even opening my message!  Think about how you can make another person’s day, and think about whose day that will be.  Often it’s someone you don’t know very well that needs the most encouragement.

10.  Finish strong.
  Graduation is just a sprint away.  Don’t slack now.  You can do it!


Comments

  1. I'm afraid I'm much too attached to my t-shirts to part with them for quilting (not like I could quilt, being an uncoordinated teenage boy lol) but I have been doing the other things you have recommended. Video calling and talking with other people helps a lot (though being an introvert I tended to usually communicate digitally!)

    And I certainly don't plan on slacking on graduation! Can't wait to be done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment