Skip to main content

What About Makeup?


Hey y’all!  Today I’d like to tackle an icky-sticky subject that many Christian teenage girls are curious about: makeup.  If you’re anything like me, you’ve been confused, clueless, curious, and captivated by the creativity of makeup.  Perhaps you still are.  You may also have lots of questions.  Although I’m no expert on these topics, I’ve been asked to write, and so I shall.


  First off, let me say that makeup is a definite “level 3” issue as far as spirituality goes, with level 1 being the non-negotiables when it comes to salvation (believing the Bible is true, Jesus lived a perfect life and died for our sin, etc.) and level 2 being the serious-but-not-crucial issues.  Level 3 issues might be better considered “personal preferences;” they don’t have a clear right-or-wrong answer from God’s Word.  This is the category makeup falls into.  Unfortunately, level 3 issues are often the cause of dysfunction and disunity among God’s people.

  Let me quickly share with you my history when it comes to makeup, so you have a better idea of where I’m coming from.

  Growing up, I think it was generally understood that I wouldn’t wear makeup until I turned 16.  Although I occasionally had breakouts, I was in no way ashamed of my natural, makeup-less face.

  My 16th birthday came and went, but I didn’t really speak up until I went to camp in July and had the worst breakout of my life.  I was supposed to perform on a brightly-lit stage the next day, and I was petrified.  It was the first time in my life I felt I “needed” makeup, but I didn’t have access to any.  Thankfully, my breakout wasn’t as noticeable the next day, but when I went home I spoke immediately to my mom about it.

  The next day, my dad took me out to dinner and gave me permission to wear makeup.  In fact, he told me that I was allowed to wear as much or as little as I wanted, confident I would do it tastefully.  It took a little time for my brothers to accept it, and I got an awkward comment from a tactless person, but it was a fairly easy transition.

  Here are three questions to ask, whether you are undecided about makeup or confidently wear it on a daily basis:

Why Am I Wearing This?
  Always examine the “why.”  Are you wearing makeup because you “need” it?  Does peer pressure play a part?  Examine your heart and attitude concerning makeup.  I know people who are so obsessed with makeup that they can’t leave the house without it, or they’re constantly checking to make sure it looks perfect.  If you have a stronger “addiction” to makeup, going on makeup fasts would probably not be a bad idea.

Would Others Be Shocked to See Me Without Makeup?
  Your friends and family should be able to recognize your face without makeup.  If they can’t, you’ve gone way overboard.  Let people get to know the real you, behind the face decorations. Don’t be ashamed when you aren’t wearing makeup.

Does This Look Natural?
  It’s not a beauty or comparison contest.  Keep it natural, please.  Its fine for it to be slightly noticeable, but your face doesn’t have to shout “MAKEUP!!!” to everyone in the vicinity.  No one appreciates you globing it.  Try to go with a look that is natural for your personality, too.  Are you extroverted, loud, and bold?  Brighter and bolder looks will probably work better for you than for someone who is introverted, shy, and quiet.  Remember, the goal of makeup is to enhance; not to transform.
                                                                                                       
  Remember: being a Christian affects every area of your life.  Although makeup is not a “spiritual” issue per say, everything is spiritual in a sense.  The physical makeup you hold in your hands and put on your face is not an issue; issues stem from your heart.  Your decisions in every area of life should be backed by the Word of God, prayer, and wise counsel.

  What excites me, personally, to wear makeup?  For me, it mainly comes down to a couple things…
  
  First, it’s because I simply just love makeup!  It’s fun, and there are endless possibilities!  You have different shades and products which can create unique looks.  It’s part of my love for creativity. 

  Second, it’s because I like to enhance.  My eyelashes are light because I’m a redhead.  Wearing mascara makes them visible. :) 

  Third, it’s feminine!  Makeup has always been and forever will be a feminine thing to me.  Same with jewelry, long curly hair, nail polish, and other accessories.  I think women should wholeheartedly embrace their God-given femininity, and makeup can play a part in that!

  I’d love to hear your thoughts below!

Comments