Skip to main content

How Should Christians Respond to the COVID-19 Pandemic?


I think it’s safe to say that this pandemic has been a time of growth for many of us, in many different ways – socially, emotionally, spiritually, and beyond.  This is by far the most intense, insane crisis I have experienced in my lifetime thus far.  For several days, I woke up thinking, “Is this even possible?”  It was hard to wrap my mind around what is happening in our world today.


  More than perhaps any time in my life, I’ve seen God’s hand at work.  I’ve seen Him provide in small ways as well as large.  I’ve seen His power and might clearly displayed.  When my mind has swirled, I’ve always found my anchor in Christ.  The Lord has humbled me as I’ve realized just how far I have to go in this journey of sanctification.  I’ve already learned so much through this pandemic, and I know I will grow much more in the days to come.

  I must confess that I was not taking the news of the pandemic, quarantine, and social distancing well.  My attitude was the most pronounced area of failure I recognized in those first few days.  We have a choice to either mope and complain about our situation, or enjoy these days to the fullest.  I was thoroughly wallowing in the former.  I did not choose joy in my circumstance, and my attitude was not uplifting to those around me.

  As Charles Swindoll so excellent put it: “Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it.”  This is a quote I’ve had engrained in my head for about as long as I can remember.  It’s one of those quotes that makes me want to give an eye-roll every time I hear it, because it’s so true, it hurts!

  The truth is, no one asked for this pandemic; nevertheless, it’s what we’ve got.  We didn’t choose for this to happen to us, but we have a choice in how we react.  I don’t believe we truly understand the influence we have with our reactions.  God has given us emotions and reflexes, as well as the grace and strength to learn how to control them.  This pandemic brings out our raw feelings very easily.  Perhaps this is a special time God has given us, as Christ-followers, to reign in our emotions and influence others with our attitudes.

  Everyone is facing desperation and exhaustion to some degree right now.  This is where the body of Christ needs to step up and set an example.  How does the Bible say we should respond in crisis?  How should Christians respond to government authority?  How can we help each other through our struggles?  How can we use this as a springboard for the gospel?

  Since everything has been so abruptly stopped in our world, I’d like to follow suit with this post. :)  I’m ending my commentary here and would like to hear your thoughts below!  How should we, as Christians, respond to this crisis?  What has the Lord been teaching you through the pandemic?  Let’s get the discussion started!

Comments

  1. Pray. I cannot overemphasize that important detail. Pray.

    Pray that God would save people.
    Pray that God would give our leaders wisdom and energy to respond to this situation.
    Pray that the nations would realize that God is doing this and that He has absolute power.
    Pray that God would strengthen His people through this trial.
    Pray that God would teach His people that they can depend on only Him.
    And this isn't directly related to the virus but pray for the peace of Jerusalem.

    Read your Bible.
    I have a few scripture passages that I compiled in a blog post that might be helpful reading:
    https://horseradishesandpoetry.home.blog/2020/03/14/saturday-encouragement/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayer is such an important part of this! Thank you for noting that. This pandemic has allowed a lot of extra time that can be used for prayer. As the body of Christ, we need to be praying diligently.

      Has anyone had any experience doing a virtual prayer group yet? Via Zoom/Messenger/Skype/etc.? I'd love to hear the creative ways others are using this time for prayer + fellowship with others.

      Delete

Post a Comment