Skip to main content

12 Things to Do to Spark Creativity


I love creative beauty.  When I was younger, I poured myself into art and took dance.  Today, music composition, lettering, and writing are all hobbies that make my heart soar.  Creativity is a huge part of my life.  However, sometimes I can fall into a creative funk where I have absolutely no inspiration or motivation.  It’s not a fun place to be!  Any other creatives out there that relate?

  Here are 12 ideas on how to snap out of a funk and get creating again!


1 – Pinterest.
  Pinterest is a lifesaver when it comes to inspiration!  I get loads of inspiration and ideas off of Pinterest.  From DIY projects to music teaching resources to recipes to nail art… it’s all there!

2 – Make Lists.
  Are you a blogger?  Jot down ideas for new blog posts as they come to you. (This is literally my blogging lifesaver!)  Are you a musician?  Make a note of pieces you want to learn in the future, or fun ideas for compositions.  There are so many types of lists you can make!  Refer to your lists when you feel uninspired.

3 – Listen to Music.
  There are literally millions of songs out there.  Expand your horizons and try to get away from the same 5 songs you keep on repeat.  You don’t even have to leave your genre of choice!  Ask those with similar music tastes for suggestions.

4 – Keep Your Work Station Organized.
  You can be atrociously messy in the middle of your work session, but clean it all up when you’re finished!  You don’t want to cringe every time you look at your desk, your piano, your kitchen, or wherever your creative corner may be.  Keep the floor swept and vacuumed, and a waste basket nearby.

5 – Surround Yourself With Loveliness.
  Color.  Flowers.  Teacups.  Bunting.  There are so many lovely little things that scream HAPPY!  You can make candles inside the beautiful floral teacups you found at the thrift store, or keep all your paintbrushes in a souvenir mug from a special place you’ve visited.  Set succulents in the window sill and string fairy lights around the door.  In the warmer months, go on a walk and pick wildflowers to brighten your room. 

6 – Maximize Natural Light.
  Maximize any natural light by opening and raising blinds, keeping the windows clean, and using light colors for the walls.  You want your room bright and clear!  Open the windows when you can.

7 – Take Your Work Somewhere Else.
  Sometimes all it takes to get the creative juices flowing is a change of scenery.  Try a quiet coffee shop, a bench by a lake, or even your front porch.

8 – Collaborate.
  I’ve learned a lot about collaboration in the context of music, but it works the same with many other arts.  Share ideas and do something jointly.  You’ll bring two vastly different, unique ideas and experiences to the table.

9 – Try Something New.
  Order something different at a restaurant, listen to music in another language, go skydiving, attend a play, get a haircut, or travel somewhere you’ve never been.  Putting a new experience or skill under your belt will offer inspiration and broaden your knowledge.

10 – Live a Colorful Life.
  Dance in the rain, sing in the shower, go barefoot outside, make sandcastles on the beach, do cartwheels for fun, meet new people, smile often, switch up your normal routine.  Give everything 100% percent.

11 – Read.
  Historical fiction, devotionals, mystery, the classics… there’s an adventure behind every book cover.

12 – Never Give Up.
  I’m sure you’ve heard the example of Thomas Edison, who made over a thousand attempts at the lightbulb before he succeeded.  I searched for quotes from him, and I’m pretty encouraged by what I found!
“Many of life’s failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”
“I have not failed.  I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

  What about you?  What do you do to spark creativity?

Comments

  1. Making lists is becoming a big one for me as I have many blog post ideas then I all-of-a-sudden forget what ideas I had/had been given. I don't do Pinterest, but sometimes I'll get books of music, cooking, etc at the library and it gives me ideas.

    I love the new blog and can't wait to see what you'll be posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you said, attending plays is really good! (I went to a production of Pirates of Penzance by the New York Gilbert & Sullivan players and it was AWESOME!!! The only downside was that during my devotions the next day I had one of the songs going through my head the whole time...)

    Plays are a way to take a break from your life and pop into someone else's. It's different than watching a movie because there are REAL PEOPLE THERE and you have the sense of depth that you can't have with a screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really helpful!! I use Pinterest and lists almost everyday! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm Abby from TheReb. I'm a musician too. What instrument do you play? I play ukelele and guitar. I also love writing and drawing. I have my own blog too. https://robkathweb99.wixsite.com/thebudgiewriterblog
    Great tips. I love doing new things to get inspiration. One of my favorite ways to get inspired is to read other people's work. For example, read a book or read a blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abby! So glad you're here! I play piano, flute, erhu, viola, kalimba, glockenspiel, and guitar, although I mainly just mess around with the latter 3. Keep up the good work with your hobbies!

      Delete
    2. Good night that's a lot of instruments. And I thought piano, organ, and french horn was a lot. (Although technically I don't play the french horn... yet)

      Delete
  5. Making lists is a big one for me. I use Pinterest and I love it. It helps me make my lists and prioritize.♥️♥️♥️. - Kiara

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great tips, Grace! I am going to keep them in mind. :) To stay creative I like to do photography, blog, read, and stay organized.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm gonna try your tips! - Kiara

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment