Skip to main content

This Year, Be...


I don’t know about you, but I love reminiscing.  2019 was a beautiful year, full of new experiences, life lessons, tough decisions, inexpressible joy, and abundant blessings.  But how does one go about condensing an entire year into one short post?  Even more, how would one recap an entire decade?  It’s simply impossible.

  A picture is worth a thousand words, right?  To save meaningless chatter, I’m going to recap this past year using only photos, while I propose a couple goals for the New Year.
  

  This year, be a learner.  The more I learn, the more I am aware of just how much I do not know.  Strive to be a learner this year.  Keep your eyes open, your ears listening, and your heart willing.  Explore.  Read books, travel, try new things, study the Word of God.

“Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.” – Matthew 11:29


  This year, be a listener.  This world has seen a lot of Chatty Kathy.  I am as guilty as anyone!  Be willing to stop and offer a listening ear to those around you.  If I can survive someone talking my ear off for half an hour without getting a word in edgewise, I promise you can too.

“Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:” – James 1:19


  This year, be teachable.  One thing I noticed about myself these past 2 years is that I am not a very teachable person.  I am quite a stubborn person, and I like being correct.  This is something I sorely need to work on, especially because I have a passion for discipleship.  I cannot disciple well if I won’t listen to counsel myself!

“Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.” – Proverbs 11:14


  This year, be patient.  Perhaps there’s something in your life that you have asked God for, and you are getting tired of waiting.  I’ve been there, too!  There are things in my life I have desired for years and still have not seen come to pass.  2020 may be your year, it may not.  Trust God’s timing.  If He desires for you to wait until 2021, 2022, 2039, or perhaps withholds it forever, be patient and believe that He knows what is best.

“Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thy heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.” – Psalm 27:14


  This year, be forgiving.  There are enough humans on this planet that are professionals at holding grudges.  Be the one that chooses to forgive.  Remember the One that has forgiven you more times than you can count.

“Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him?  till seven times?  Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.” – Matthew 18:21-22


  This year, be a leader.  Step up and challenge others to relentlessly pursue Christ.  Don’t content yourself with the mediocre when you can raise the bar and inspire others.  Choose to go first.  Choose to stand.  Choose the path of righteousness.  Even if no one follows, choose to lead.

  “Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful… For the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.” – Psalm 1:1, 6


  This year, be courageous.  Change does not take place within your comfort zone.  If you want to challenge, inspire, learn, and grow, boldly step up to the plate.  Courage isn’t the absence of fear; it’s a choice to stand despite the fear.  As a friend says, do it afraid.

“Have I not commanded thee?  Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.” – Joshua 1:9


  This year, be a light.  Sister, you have so much to give the world.  Has the Lord saved you?  Has He proven Himself faithful?  Has He done great things?  Be the light that so many need!  Your classmates, your family, the people you pass on the street… you may be the one and only glimmer of light they know.  Shine brightly for the glory of Christ.

“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” – Matthew 5:16

*All Scripture is taken from the King James Version.

Comments

Post a Comment