Skip to main content

Is Hospitality for Singles?


I would certainly hope I’m not the only single girl who dreams of one day having my own house to make a home.  Any others out there?  I envision how I will one day decorate my house.  When I go shopping, I often glance over the home décor and picture in my mind how I would incorporate the different pieces into my own setting.  And who doesn’t love Pinterest with all the glorious inspiration it brings?


  The topic of home and hospitality is not an invisible topic in scripture.  There are many examples of service, hospitality, and function within the home.

  In Acts 2, we find the believers devoted to fellowship one with another.  Verse 46 specifically notes that they met in homes and enjoyed fellowship around food: “And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts.” (ESV)

  1 Peter 4:9 urges us to “use hospitality one to another without grudging.” (KJV)

  Luke 10 clearly indicates that Martha received Jesus into her house.

  Abraham and Sarah entertained angels, and Hebrews 13:2 reminds us to “be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.” (KJV)

  God has surely placed a special ministry in hospitality.  Hospitality is something we clearly see upheld and encouraged in His Word.

  But what about singles without homes of their own?

  Although I feel hardly able to classify myself as a “single” because I am still quite young, I do desire to one day have my own home and be able to entertain others.  However, with a little bit of creativity, I believe that singles can still take up the calling of hospitality, despite their circumstance.

  You see, the thing about hospitality is that it starts with an attitude.

  According to dictionary.com, the main definition of hospitable is “receiving or treating guests or strangers warmly and generously.”  Who said anything about a physical location?

  You can host guests at a home all you want, but if your attitude is wrong, you are not demonstrating true hospitality.

  Hospitality doesn’t necessarily require 4 walls, a roof, a table to eat at, and a sofa to sit on.  

  Hospitality begins with an attitude that seeks to embrace others.

  In the classic example of Martha and Mary, we see a housekeeper that was consumed with providing the perfect guest experience for the King of kings.  How did Jesus respond?  He reprimanded her.  Martha’s attitude was busy and consumed, which hampered her ability to do what was best.

  Hospitality’s focus is glorifying God through serving people.  Mary laid aside the “entertaining” aspect of hosting, and sat down to spend time and focus on the Person.  That was the best thing.

  When we lose our focus, hosting is merely an entertainment.  Guests will most likely feel unwelcome, out of place, and awkward.  Hospitality is aware of the needs of others and desires to meet those needs with open arms.

  Hospitality is a humble attitude of service, a desire to make someone feel welcome, and an attempt to lavish others with love.  Single or not, God has given you everything you need to effectively minister with a heart of hospitality.  Your expression of hospitality may look different from that of the person next to you, and that is completely okay!  The Lord will not withhold the tools to do what He has called you to do.  He always provides what is needed to accomplish His will.


Comments

  1. I would say it's especially important to be hospitable in your church. You don't want to be responsible for giving people bad first impressions of your church... and they never come back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true--we have to be careful to buy up the opportunities God gives us to welcome others.

      Delete
  2. I've read about hospitality before. I want to learn how to be hospitable . - Kiara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you have a desire to grow in this area, Kiara! That is fantastic! I hope to share more about hospitality in the future.

      Delete
  3. Hospitality is definitely important! I heard someone say once that even if we don't have our own house to physically welcome people in, we can welcome people into our life by being there to listen and encourage them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing about this Grace! This is such an important aspect of Christianity that is too often left out. I really love your points!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment