Skip to main content

10 Things I Learned from Helping with a Children's Ministry


For as long as I can remember, I’ve absolutely adored little kids.  I was a baby snatcher in church, an extremely protective big sister, and an eager mother’s helper.  In many ways, I’m still a kid at heart myself.  The pure joy, innocence, and faith of childhood is beautiful to see.  I truly believe children are a gift from God.

  When I was a young teen, I got involved with an afterschool Bible club ministry.  A group from my church would go into a public elementary school on a weekly basis and share the gospel.  It has been a blessing working with this ministry for years.  We have seen salvation and spiritual growth in the lives of several children.  Many are hearing the gospel for the first time.  Seeds are being planted and watered.  Families are being exposed.  God is working.

  Although we may not always see the results of sharing the gospel with these children, I personally have seen growth in my own life and in the lives of the other workers.  You would think child evangelism would be fairly simple, but it’s not.  There are many difficulties and sticky situations that we have had to face and carefully work with.  Ministering in this way has grown and taught me so much throughout the years.

  Here are 10 things I’ve learned through volunteering with a children’s ministry.

1 - Kids Ask Tough Questions.
  “Miss Grace, why do our parents tell us not to lie, but then they lie to us about Santa and Elf on the Shelf?”

2 - Sometimes Struggles Start Early.
  I never thought that suicide would be one of those things that we’d have to deal with while working with elementary-aged kids.  However, I was shocked to find that one child was contemplating and threatening suicide over Christmas break several years ago.  This really opened my eyes to how young certain struggles can arise.

3 - Kids Want Love.
  So many of the kids I have worked with come from broken families who do not know how to demonstrate love.  These kids grow up in households where love of any kind is unexpressed.  So many of our kids crave a love they cannot find at home.

4 - Kids Can Be Hilarious.
Teacher: “If you were Gideon, what would you have chosen to charge an army with?”
Child *raises hand* (in perfect seriousness): “A chainsaw.”

Group leader: *reads a storybook about the fall*
1st grade boy: “Hold it!  Hold it!  THE SNAKE CAN TALK?!”

Me: *asks each child a question to get to know them better*
Me: “If you guys have any questions for me, let me know.”
Kid: “I have three questions: who is your current crush?  Do you have a boyfriend?  Or do you want to be single and lonely forever?”

5 - Kids Want Answers.
  Halloween is the holiday I dread when it comes to kids ministry.  I’ve noticed, however, that many of the children are genuinely curious as to what Halloween really entails.  They all want to know if it is “bad.”  Kids are sponges, and they receive many mixed messages.  Many of them just want to know if something is blatantly right or wrong.  Unfortunately, it’s usually a bit more complicated than that.

6 - I am Utterly Unqualified.
  You can prepare all you want, but you will never fully be prepared for some of the situations you face and conversations that arise when it comes to kids ministries.  If there’s anything I’ve learned, it’s that I’m totally unqualified.  I don’t have all the answers, I’m not the perfect worker, and I make mistakes.  Praise God for using even the weakest for His work.

7 - I Must Take My Own Bible Study Seriously.
  Working with kids will test your Bible knowledge, your wisdom, and your ability to clearly communicate truth.  It is crucial that I do my own study and learn how to better explain the gospel and other Biblical stories and topics.

8 - I Must Be Involved.
  It is important that I do what the kids are asked to do.  I also need to stand and sing the songs, recite the verses, and listen intently to the lesson.  I never want a child to think, “If Miss Grace isn’t doing it, why should I?”

9 - Bring Extra Bibles.
  This is a very good thing to do, especially in public school ministries or any ministry that does not involve churched kids (or even those that do).  One day last year my college was selling simple Bibles for $1 each.  I bought up the opportunity (quite literally) and grabbed 10.  I try and periodically ask around for kids that don’t have a Bible at home, and make sure they get one.

10 - It’s Worth It.
  Yes, kids’ ministry is hard.  It’s stressful.  It’s complicated.  It’s exhausting.  But it’s completely worth it.  Several years ago I had the incredible opportunity to speak with a girl who ultimately made a profession of faith.  I went home thinking, “If this is the only salvation we see, it is completely worth it!”  (Praise the Lord, we have seen this situation repeated in multiple lives!)

  What about you?  What are some of your experiences in children’s ministries?  What have you learned through working with kids?

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing about this! Have you ever had to deal with any opposition from the public school or the government, coming in and sharing about the gospel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have not! Not all public schools in our area allow Bible club programs, but this school did, in partnership with CEF. Often the school would repeatedly delay the start of our club or require us to end early for no apparent reason, but we are always careful to comply to these set-backs so we can continue running the outreach.

      Delete
    2. I was wondering the same thing! That’s a real blessing that you were allowed in there!

      Delete

Post a Comment